Purpose of position
The purpose of this position is to provide a wide range of tax services to a portfolio of corporate clients, ranging from local and international corporates.
Key roles & responsibilities
- Providing audit support on Statutory Audit for income and deferred tax and the related disclosures in the Annual Financial Statement (“AFS”). Liaising with the audit and clients on the clients premises. Preparation of detailed report of findings and communicating these to the audit teams and client.
- Assisting on Due-Diligence reviews on a tax multidisciplinary basis and reporting into other business units.
- Managing client portfolios end-to-end that includes inter alia preparation and completion of company income tax returns, provisional tax returns, IT14SD’s, SARS requests for information, SARS audits, dispute resolution, withholding taxes and ad-hoc client queries. Assistance with completion of reconciliations for IT14SD returns on a multi-disciplinary basis for income tax, Value Added Tax (“VAT”) and Pay-As-You-Earn (“PAYE”) as a result of the income tax return submissions. This include the management of e-filing, compiling relevant deliverables and collating reports of findings.
- Managing of junior staff, review of their work, providing technical guidance and leadership.
- Reporting into senior managers, associate directors and partners providing opinions based on research on tax technical matters.
- Preparing tax technical opinions and advice in a formal manner
- Taking ownership of client portfolios and assisting on other team members client portfolios as required.
- Preparing budgets assignments, engagement letters, managing time and monitoring lock-up (billing book) and preparing billing requests.
- Assisting with the arrangement and hosting of tax events and writing articles for publishing
- Pro-actively identifying consulting opportunities for other tax functions
- Managing own monthly lockup (business book) and preparing billing requests
- Assisting with internal risk management and client engagement processes
Qualifications and experience
- CA (SA) and up to date knowledge of latest IFRS standards
- M Comm of H Dip in Taxation
- At least four years relevant experience in a corporate tax environment
- Working knowledge of SARS eFiling
- Advance knowledge of Excel and Word
Skills and attributes
- Ability to critically analyse AFS and interpret it to identify business and tax risks
- Taking ownership of work and ability to function well in a high pressure environment
- Attention to detail and presenting work in an orderly and logical manner
- Team player and good with people skills and ability to deal effectively with people at all levels